Parent & Family Resource Centre
Vision: Disabled people and their families are able to lead the lives they desire
Disability Information & Advice
The Parent & Family Resource Centre Inc. has a DIAS (Disability Information Advisory Service) sub-contract to the Ministry of Health. Our aim is to provide the Auckland community (North to Warkworth and South to Pukekohe) with disability information. We do this in several ways:
- We are a contact for parents/professionals ringing or emailing us for information/advice
- We host and present a variety of seminars in the community (usually in several different locations throughout Auckland)
- We host the annual Transition Expo in association with Ministry of Social Development – the Transition Expo explores the progression from school to community life for a young person with a disability
- We produce print publications including Networker magazine, Early Years Chart and Moving On booklet
- We send our membership a fortnightly E bulletin containing news and events for the disability community
- We operate an interactive website including information polls, surveys and blogs.
Individualised Funding Individualised Funding is a relatively new
Individualised Funding is a relatively new Ministry of Health funding mechanism to pay for two specific Disability Support Services – Household Management and Personal Cares (these 2x supports come under the stream “Home and Community Support Services”). Individualised Fuding was introduced as a pilot scheme in 2003 and in 2010 it was introduced more widely using a variety of contracted IF host agencies throughout New Zealand.
IF is based on person-centre control and can offer the person with a disability more flexibility over the implementation of two MOH funded supports (Personal Cares and Household Management), in order to live a more ordinary life. If you receive either or both of these supports and you wish to use Individualised Funding to manage these supports you can request the NASC (in Auckland this is Taikura Trust) refer you to an Individualised Funding host agency. Individualised Funding (IF) must be managed through a host agency. In New Zealand there are 13 host agencies, 5 of them operate in Auckland. The Auckland host agencies are:
- Manawanui InCharge (Nationwide)
- Lifewise Hmecare Services (Auckland)
- Vision West (Auckland)
- Presbyterian Support Northern (Co-active disability support services) – (Auckland)
- Healthcare New Zealand Ltd. (Nationwide)
A host agency can provide a scale of various levels of support including coaching/support, payroll, invoicing, etc, Human Resources services, etc.